Monday, 30 December 2013

2013, a Year in Review

Without getting into too many macabre details, let me just say that 2013 wasn't my best year. By a long shot.

I missed my family and friends too much (especially during my 3rd Christmas in a row spent without them), was deeply unsatisfied with my work situation (so, SO tired of the restaurant grind), was forced to drop out of university due to some bureaucratic nonsense, and some other, difficult, behind-the-scenes stuff kept me down a lot of the time.

But I'm so over being the kind of person who complains about stuff not being perfect. 2013 may have knocked me down a bunch, and it may have made me feel hopeless at times, but it did not beat me. In fact, despite all of the bad, there was still a lot of good, and I need to remember to celebrate the good more than I dwell on the bad.

In 2013 I finished writing my very first novel, which is something that I wasn't sure I would ever do. I love it like I would my own child, but I put it aside due to the fact that it's vaguely dystopian and I don't want to scare agents away right off the bat. Which leads me to my next bit of good,

In 2013 I started writing my second novel. The instant I started typing words into Scrivener, it was kismet. While I love my first novel dearly, this one just felt right from the get go. It's more me, and I can't wait to see where I take it in 2014.

In 2013 I made so many new writing friends, all of whom are a massive source of inspiration to me. The writing community on twitter is so welcoming and fun, and I'm so glad to have found a place in it. Special shout out to twitter for introducing me to Victoria Aveyard, soon to be a household name and my American twin. I am so thankful that she sees past my insanity and allows me to read her brilliant words, and in turn reads my not-as-brilliant words and offers the best advice. She's seriously the coolest.

In 2013 I became an aunt for the very first time. My boyfriend's sister had the most beautiful baby girl of all time early this year, and watching her grow into the most adorable creature of all time has been an incredible experience. I've only met her in person briefly, but I like to think she recognizes us when we Skype with her. I can't wait to watch her grow and learn her first word and begin to walk. I especially can't wait to buy her millions of books and read Harry Potter to her, obviously.

In 2013 I worked at a very fun job that allowed me to see the beauty of British Columbia first hand. I live in one of the most stunning places on earth, where the mountains meet crystal clear turquoise lakes dotted with billions of smooth stones, and finally getting out there and experiencing said beauty was so refreshing. I can't wait to go back to that job this summer. 

In 2013 my boyfriend and I made big decisions about the rest of our lives. While it's not really my place to discuss my boyfriend's life, let's just say we're leaving the town that's been dragging us down and moving on to greener pastures. It'll mean that I'm moving to my 3rd province in 3ish years, but I'm thrilled to be heading somewhere new. It's like staring at a blank document, itching to fill it with words. I know that some of the words will be the wrong ones, and I'll eventually cut them and replace them with better ones, but the promise of a new beginning is so rejuvenating.

So 2013 may not have been all that I hoped and dreamed of, but it taught me a lot about myself and the world around me. It forced me to reevaluate my goals and the things that I deem important to me. I made some hard decisions that I may come to regret one day, but they were decisions that felt right at the time, and that's what matters in the end.

Looking forward to 2014, I see nothing but new frontiers. I will finish this second novel and when I'm done I will query it. I have never queried before and the thought of pressing 'send' on those hope-filled emails is equal parts thrilling and terrifying. When that's done I will start writing new words, and may come to love them even more than the ones I've already got. I will move to a new province and start a new life with my boyfriend and cat. I will make going home for Christmas 2014 a necessity. I will travel to San Francisco to visit friends. I will cuddle my niece. I will read books that make me cry, books that make me laugh, and books that make me want to be better. I will bake and cross-stitch and sew and clean and collect mugs and decorate and laugh and drink tea and hike and press flowers and take pictures and paint and nap. And sing. Poorly.

I will not succumb to fear and doubt. Okay, I probably will, but I will get better at pulling myself out of that trap. I will be kind. I will give back. I will cuddle. I will not be ruled by negativity. 

2014 will be the best year ever, simply because I won't let it be anything else.


New frontiers on the horizon and such.
Thank you for reading, I appreciate everyone who has ever visited this page and read my ramblings. You are all awesome. I hope you all have the best 2014 you possibly can.

6 comments:

  1. I read this post earlier. I'm just stopping by again to comment. I think thinking positive is key. If you believe 2014 will be amazing than it will be. I'm all the way over in New York, so British Columbia sounds like paradise. Good luck with your writing and life endeavors. I'm following your adventures over on Feedly. I'm looking forward to reading more about your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about positivity! It's just so hard for me not to get wrapped up in negativity sometimes, but I'm trying. And New York sounds pretty cool too! You'll have to check out British Columbia one day.

      Thanks so much for reading a commenting! I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  2. Working at a draining Job is never fun, and I know how the whole being forced to drop out of college is too (My BF had to deal with that) But Finishing one novel and Starting on a second one is complete WIN! And Querying- That's something huge to look forward to!( And being nervous about lol.) I plan on querying mid-Jan and I'm already freaking out just by thinking about it.
    Here's to a great new yea! *cheers*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way I look at it, everything is temporary (job wise) and university isn't going anywhere so I can go back when I'm in a good place.

      Good luck with querying!! Let me know how it goes for you!

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. COOL YOU STOLE MY TWITTER BACKGROUND.

    Nevertheless, you're the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha how did I just notice this now?! I'm obsessed with you.

      Delete