Wednesday, 29 May 2013

My first draft is done!

A little Joseph Gordon Levitt celebratory dancing...
I never thought this day would come. Well, actually, I knew it eventually would, but self-doubt tried to convince me otherwise. The first draft of my book is done, clocking in at 23 chapters for a total of 88,411 words! Cue confetti and balloons! I'm doing a little shimmy in my kitchen (I wrote most of this book at my kitchen table, I need a damn desk). 
I wish I was kidding.
Every part of me wants to dive right in to revisions, but pretty much everything I've read ever tells me to wait at least two weeks. So I will put away my index cards and shiny new highlighters (which I already purchased) and I will write this lovely post about the book I just finished instead. (I found this on someone's blog a while back and I wasn't tagged but I'm doing it anyway!)
What is the working title of your book?
Drumroll please... the title of my book is currently 'Children of the Light.' I also have titles for subsequent books, but they would be spoilery, so you shall remain in the dark.
Where did the idea come from for your book?
Umm one day I thought to myself "I should write a damn book like I've always wanted to." Following this thought came another, "what the heck would I write about?" So I sat for about five minutes and the backbone of the book was formed. Stuff has changed since then, including the depth of my idea, but I got pretty lucky.
What genre does your book fall under?
YA Sci-fi. There are dystopian elements, but my book is not dystopian. More post-apocalyptic. 
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Well I already have them chosen and their pictures are attached to my character profiles in Scrivener. For my main character, Samson Fordly, I chose Sam Claflin (BEFORE HE BECAME FINNICK, OKAY?)





For my leading lady, Matilda Easom, I selected a blonde actress whose name escapes me, so maybe you guys can help me out?
I also have my other characters selected, but I won't bore you. Basically, Donald Sutherland is my Walter Paston, which is unfortunate because he's also President Snow, and probably won't want to play another YA character when my book becomes a movie ;)



What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Impossible. This is where I fail as a writer. I will TRY to do this.
When he became a Hunter, Samson Fordly left the safe confines of the walls that surrounded his compound and came upon a centuries-old secret that many would kill to keep hidden, including the men entrusted with protecting the only home he's ever know from the technological evils that have threatened to destroy it since the days of the collapse.
Hmm. Not terrible, but needs work for sure. It sort of sounds like a lot of what's out there, but with some polishing I think I could capture how different I think my book is. You get the gist of it though.
Will your book be self published or represented by an agency?
I have always dreamed of being traditionally published. I wish I was brave enough to self-pub, but I'm not. I'd like to let more qualified people than me handle the sticky bits of publishing a book (if I'm ever lucky enough to get an agent, etc)
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
TOO LONG! I've had a bit of a roller coaster ride of a year, so this draft took a lot longer than anticipated. I had some medical issues that prevented me from writing straight through from the first word to the last, so if I had to guess, I'd say it took 6-7 months of writing, over a period of about a year. Writing my first draft has been a learning experience, and I'm eager to jump right in to a new writing project (I have some ideas swirling around in my brain) once I've revised the crap out of this book. 
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Hmm perhaps Across the Universe by Beth Revis meets (I don't want to say the Hunger Games because I'm pretty sure all aspiring YA wants to be compared to the Hunger Games) meets Divergent by Veronica Roth meets Taken by Erin Bowman. I'd be lucky to ever be compared to any of the brilliant humans, though.
Who or What inspired you to write this book?
Truthfully, Veronica Roth did. I've told this story before but when I read Divergent I was so inspired by its brilliance and so shocked by how old she was when she wrote it that it sort of lit a fire under me and made me decide to try my hand at writing YA.
But if we're getting sentimental, my whole family inspired me to write, especially my mom and sister. My boyfriend has been my #1 cheerleader since day one, and has helped me through many a plot problem. And my closest friends are extremely supportive (from begging to read my draft to offering their varied talents to aid in my career, like website design and photography, I hope to take them up on it one day).
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
I passionately love this book, and I hope if I ever have readers that they do too. It's full of heart-stopping action, epic twists and turns (seriously, prepare yourselves), non-cheesy but very swoony romance, and a dreamy male MC. What more could you ask for? ;)
This represents the love I have for my book
Woo! I'm so glad I can share with you all what I've been working on and tweeting about these past few months. I have some critique partners that I'm dying to get this out to, so I hope to revise REALLY quick (lol, not possible).
In the meantime, I will outline some book ideas that I have in mind and spend a LOT of time outdoors. Thanks for reading my blog, interacting with me on twitter, and just being awesome humans. I love you all, I truly do.
This is how I feel about you my dear readers

16 comments:

  1. It sounds freaking epic!!! AHHHHHH THIS IS SO EXCITING WITH THE TITLE AND THE HOT GUY AND ALL OF THE THINGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha THANK YOU!!! Sam Claflin is TOO good looking. And I'm a fan of the title too! :)

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo! Sometimes I think about the fact that Veronica Roth and I are the same age and I feel sad, like, what have I accomplished? But just finishing a book is a big deal.

    If you ever need more eyes on this thing, let me know! It sounds awesome, and I love all of the books you've compared it too (and, okay, I also would enjoy picturing your MC as Sam Claflin).

    Bonus points for the JGL GIF ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've accomplished a lot! And you have sooo many years ahead of you. You will go on to great things!

      And thanks so much for your kind words and the offer! When it's in a readable state I'll likely take you up on it! But that might not be for a while ;) And you'd love the swoony scenes if you're picturing Sam Claflin!

      And no post is complete without JGL shirtless.

      Delete
  3. Okay, this book sounds AWESOME. Can't wait to read it one day (because come on...sounds too good to stay hidden!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just smiled so huge at your comment! Thanks for being so nice!

      I hope you're right, but it's a long way off. Time to revise the crap out of it! :)

      Delete
  4. EAT YOUR CHOCOLATE AND WATCH YOUR VIKINGS AND READ SOME WILLAS/SANSA. You've earned it!! And I'm super proud of your word-count; keeping it around 90k is an art I will never achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will endeavour to complete ALL of your tasks!

      Thank you so much!! I'm proud too, but it's possible that it will grow in revisions. I will try my hardest to keep it under 90k ;) Also I hope you never master that art, because I want ALL the words from you!

      Delete
  5. Yay! So happy for you! So exciting! I am so ready to read whenever you're ready to share so bring in on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayy! Thank you Leigh! You've been super supportive for so long, so thanks for everything!

      I'll get it to you ASAP!! <3

      Delete
  6. Yayyyy!!! Congratulations Emma! Mega proud of you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie! I love you a whole lot and I can't wait for you to read it! :)

      Delete
  7. I love that there's a GIF of JGL's SNL strip-tease :)

    Congrats on finishing your book! Sounds like we have a similar obsession with office supplies, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best gif of all time! And thanks so much!

      Office supplies are my weakness. I could buy them every time I leave my apartment!

      Delete
  8. If you are referring to the girl above as your leading lady, then that is Ginny Gardner. Your welcome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are LIFE! OMG! Thank you!!!! I've been looking for her name for forever! (Okay...30 minutes....still felt like forever)

      Delete